World’s Most Famous Space Telescope Marks 30 Years of Exploration Live Shots
When you think of the universe, what do you imagine? Chances are the colorful pictures of galaxies and star clusters that come into view are from NASA’s Hubble Space Telescope. For 30 years, the bus-sized telescope has been orbiting the Earth as one of humanity’s most important windows to the universe. Hubble was designed to last 15 years, but on April 24 it will mark three decades in space.
Chat with Hubble scientists virtually on Friday, April 24, from 7:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. EDT , as we reveal a breathtaking new image for the telescope’s diamond anniversary. Share with your viewers some of Hubble’s most dazzling views of the cosmos.
Interviews will be conducted using video chat programs including Skype and Facetime
To schedule an interview, please fill out this form: https://forms.gle/RxgdbqKBDeBGMkvJ7
Throughout human history, we have wondered about our place among the stars. Thanks to Hubble, we have a front-row seat to watch our universe evolve before our eyes. Hubble’s observations have fundamentally changed our understanding of the universe, including determining how old it is. It has changed our views of the planets in our own solar system, capturing Jupiter’s famous Great Red Spot shrinking over time, and discovering new objects such as planetary moons and icy objects beyond Pluto. Hubble has shown us the birth of stars and even the creation of black holes. As it turns 30, Hubble continues to push the boundaries of exploration.
SUGGESTED ANCHOR INTRO:
A SPECIAL SOMETHING IS TURNING THIRTY TODAY: NASA’S ICONIC HUBBLE SPACE TELESCOPE COMMEMORATES THREE DECADES OF DISCOVERY. FOR ITS BIRTHDAY, HUBBLE IS ACTUALLY GIVING US A SPECIAL GIFT … JOINING US NOW WE HAVE…
Dr. Thomas Zurbuchen/ NASA Associate Administrator
Dr. Jennifer Wiseman / NASA Senior Project Scientist for Hubble
Dr. Mark Clampin / Director of Sciences and Exploration Directorate, NASA Goddard
Dr. Paul Hertz / NASA Director of Astrophysics
Dr. Elena Sabbi / Astrophysicist, Space Telescope Science Institute
Dr. Rosa Diaz / Astrophysicist, Space Telescope Science Institute [interviews in Spanish]
1. The world’s most iconic telescope just released a stunning new image to celebrate 30 years in space. Can you show us this diamond anniversary gift?
2. Hubble’s views of the universe have not only changed the way we think of space, but also rewritten science books. What are some of its most important discoveries?
3. Closer to home, Hubble has also taken a look at the planets in our solar system and even our Moon! What kinds of changes has it seen?
4. We almost didn’t have the sharp Hubble images we have today…there was a flaw with Hubble’s mirror when it first launched. Thanks to astronaut repairs, Hubble’s legacy is the ultimate comeback story. As it turns 30, how is it doing?
5. What’s next for the telescope?
6. Where can we see more of Hubble’s amazing images and experience NASA at home?
7. Where can our audience help participate in Hubble’s birthday?
B-roll for Hubble's 30th Anniversary Live Shot.
Canned interview in Spanish with Dr. Rosa Diaz
For More Information
Please give credit for this item to:
NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center